No matter what your reason for wanting to study in Canada is, you should know that there are some opportunities on scholarships in Canada for international students you wouldn’t like to miss. These scholarships help cover tuition fees, provide housing and other amenities while you are in school.
The purpose of this article is to show how Canada has many scholarship opportunities for international students. The scholarships in this post are not exhaustive, but they do represent a good starting point for international students that are looking to find their way through Canadian scholarship opportunities.
Scholarships in Canada for International Students
Below are the top 14 international scholarship programs offered by the Government of Canada, including their accrued benefits as well as eligibility.
1. University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
The University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship program provides $15,000 support for international students to cover the cost of tuition, board, and books.
The scholarship opportunity is for applicants who express a firm intention to pursue their studies in Canada and are willing to submit their application by early March of the year they wish to study.
2. University of British Columbia Mainstream Scholarship Program
The University of British Columbia Mainstream Scholarship Program provides a total scholarship and award amount worth $5,000 to successful applicants with strong academic records.
This scholarship is available for a one-year study program in any faculty at the university upon successful admission.
3. University of Regina International Entrance Scholarship
The University of Regina International awards scholarships annually to international students.
For several academic years, the University of Regina offers International Entrance Scholarships to undergraduate full-time international students from all over the world.
The value of these scholarships is worth about $200,000 per award. The award can be used towards tuition fees and living expenses.
4. University of Victoria International Scholarships
The University of Victoria offers a variety of scholarships and awards for undergraduate international students.
There are several categories of scholarships at UVIC for international students but the common one is the General Entrance Scholarship with which the institution awards several students to the tune of $3.5 million.
The value of these awards for one year is about $3,000 to $10,000.
5. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
These scholarships are awarded to support exceptional doctoral students, who have earned the highest CGPA in their undergraduate and master’s studies to support their ambition to further their studies in Canada.
The scholarships are valued at $50,000 for the study period of two to three years.
The Canadian government provides scholarships to students pursuing Masters degrees in fields such as science, engineering, and humanities.
6. Postdoctoral Fellowships at Banting
– Awarded to national and international postgraduate students in order to attract top-tier intelligent minds.
– Students receive 70,000 CAD per year for two years.
7. IDRC Research Awards
– This scholarship is open to students from developing countries.
– A lump sum is transferred throughout the duration of your course.
8. Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
– Fellowships for Indian graduate and postgraduate students attending a reputable university.
– Eligible students can enroll in courses or receive coaching from any Canadian university that is affiliated with SICI online.
9. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
– Every year, students from Commonwealth nations can apply for a variety of grants.
– The benefits of this scholarship vary from year to year.
10. Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
– The Ontario scholarship provides grants to students enrolled in public universities in Ontario.
– You can get between 5000 and 15,000 CAD.
11. Ontario Trillium Scholarship
This scholarship is given to international PhD students.
– Up to 40,000 CAD is awarded over four years.
12. Canada-ASEAN SEED
– Global Affairs Canada awards scholarships to students pursuing advanced degrees.
– Visa and/or study/work permit fees, airfare, health insurance, living expenses, ground transportation expenses, books and supplies are all included in the price.
13. Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship
– Financial assistance is provided to Quebec students. (The scholarship is currently on hold.)
Scholarships of up to 40,000 CAD are available.
14. National Research Council of Canada (NRCC)
– Research grants are awarded to research students pursuing a Masters or PhD.
– The cost and duration are determined by your level of study.
Read also: Fulbright Foreign Student Program in USA
Top 3 Non-Government Scholarships In Canada For International Students
Non Government Scholarships in Canada are granted by non-profit organizations or by individuals in positions of power. They do so in order to attract international students to further their education in Canada. Some of the best study in Canada scholarships available include:
15. Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
– The Anne Vallée Ecological Fund (AVEF) provides two 1,500 CAD scholarships to students enrolled in animal research at a Québec or British Columbia university at the master’s or doctoral level.
16. Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship
– A 2,000 CAD prize is available to Canadian undergraduate or graduate students.
– To be eligible for this scholarship, you must submit an essay.
17. Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
– 15 international doctoral scholarships are available for students.
– 20,000 CAD – 40,000 CAD per year for three years, plus travel allowance.
Read also: Nottingham Developing Solutions Scholarship
Top 9 Scholarships to Study in Canada offered by Canadian Universities
Canadian universities also offer study in Canada scholarships to outstanding international students. The majority of these scholarships are merit-based and are intended to attract the world’s crème de la crème. If you are one of them, please apply to the following scholarships:
18. University of Toronto Ontario Graduate Scholarship
– $10,000 to $15,000 CAD awarded to doctoral and master’s level students at the University of Toronto. Apply here now.
19. University of Waterloo International Funding
– International students are eligible for a variety of scholarships ranging from $2500 to $50,000 per year to study at the University of Waterloo.
20. University of Calgary International Scholarships
– Scholarships for international students to study at the University of Calgary in Canada. The awards range from 500 to 60,000 CAD.
21. University of Alberta International Scholarships
– Several scholarships are available to international students interested in studying at the graduate/post-graduate level at the University of Alberta.
22. UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award
– International students are eligible for scholarships ranging from 1,500 to 50,000 Canadian dollars to study at the University of British Columbia.
23. Queen’s University International Scholarships
– Queens University offers financial aid to international students, such as bank loans.
24. McGill University Scholarships and Student Aid
– McGill University provides 3000 CAD – 12,000 CAD in scholarships to students each year.
25. Dalhousie University Scholarships
– Dalhousie students are given merit-based scholarships. Apply Here.
26. Western University Scholarship
– Scholarships ranging from 2000 to 100,000 CAD are awarded based on your performance.
Read also: Joint Japan and World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
How To Apply For Canadian International Student Scholarships?
There are various scholarship application processes depending on the university. There are also some scholarships that do not have a formal application process.
There are many scholarships that are available online and others that can be found in business offices and libraries of colleges and universities as well as on your own. Each university has its own website, which contains information regarding their scholarships applications process, deadlines, and contact numbers so you should check them before applying for scholarships.
The application process may also require you to send documents and test scores to prove that you are qualified. The scholarship application process takes from several months to almost a year so it’s important to plan your application ahead of time.
Some universities have a very long list of scholarships for international students but not all university’s scholarships are the same for every student. International applicant should do research on which universities has the best programs for their academic interest, based on their own individual career goals.
Read also: Get a Government Job in Canada, Even if You’re New to the Country
Some scholarships provide funding to cover the cost of tuition fees while others award funding to cover the cost of living expenses. Scholarships can be a great way to ease the financial burden that comes with studying in a foreign country and thus, prepare you for future studies.
1 Reply to “Top 26 Scholarships In Canada For International Students You wouldn’t like to Miss”
I like it